1900-1911 CONSTANTINOS SALVAGOS from Chios, one of the founders of the National Bank of Egypt, a great trader, banker and an honoured and important member of cosmopolitan Alexandrian society, was elected President following Averof. But his presidency was short lived as he died suddenly in 1901.
Salvagos' successor was the great EMMANUEL BENAKIS from Syros, a cotton merchant and founder of the internationally known firm of Horemis-Benakis. Under the Presidency of Benakis, EKA set up its offices in the Hellenic Quarter of Chatby. It is the "Last Quarter" of which we speak today and where EKA's offices are still to be found.
The Salvagos family initiated the building of the Hellenic quarter of Chatby in memory of Constantine Salvagos. In 1906 the Salvagos Trade School, which had been Averof's dream, was established. It later developed into the College of Trade and operated until 1972.
In 1907 the Zervoudakis School merged with the Averof Boys and Girls High Schools and a girls trade section, a Practical Girls High School and School of Dressmaking were also established.
In 1908 Benakis founded the Benakis Community Kitchens to serve the needy of the community. This service is still offered today.
In 1909 Emmanual Benakis and his wife, Virginia, established the Benakis Girls Orphanage in a grand building within the quarter. The orphanage was closed in 1970 and since 1972 it has housed the Consulate General of Greece in Alexandria.
Under Benakis the Tositsas School underwent renovations and the hospital was upgraded to include departments of Ophthalmology, Pathology, Contagious Diseases, First Aid, Nurses School etc.
Benakis ensured the provision of aid to the Macedonian struggle. King George at the time expressed his appreciation and gratitude towards the Hellenic Community of Alexandria for its help to the Greek nation. The Greeks of Alexandria regularly took part in collections for Greek causes such as the support of earthquake victims.
In 1911 Benakis resigned from the presidency, repatriated to Greece and devoted himself to the service of his country as Minister of Agriculture and also as Mayor of Athens.
Antonis Benakis, son of Emmanuel, was the founder of both the Greek boy scouts in Egypt, but also of the Egyptian scouts. He moved to Athens and on the death of his father donated the family villa to the Greek state. It now houses the Benakis Museum in Athens.
Penelope, daughter of Emmanuel Benakis, married the journalist Stefanos Delta, and became one of the best-known Greek writers of children's books, Penelope Delta.
1911-1919 MICKES SYNADINOS from Chios, who was particularly well loved by the community, followed Benakis as President of EKA. Synadinos was one of the founders of the Greek Philharmonic Orchestra and President of the Mohammed Ali Club which played an important role in Alexandrian Society. During the years of his presidency EKA sent aid to the Greek troops in both the Balkan Wars and the First World War.
1919-1948 When Synadinos died in 1919, he was succeeded as President by MICHAIL SALVAGOS, son of Constantine, who became one of the most productive and significant Presidents of EKA and was the longest serving of all EKA Presidents to date holding the post for 29 years, until 1948.
Under the Presidency of Salvagos the EKA Offices were renovated, the new Familiadis Community school was built for the Greek children in the area of Attarin, named after its benefactor, and the Cairo Railway Station was built in Alexandria.
The Community Old People's Home was established in 1925 on donations by Antonis Antoniadis, son of Sir John Antoniadis who had donated the family mansion, grounds and gardens to the Alexandria Town Council. Even today the Alexandria Town hall is named the Antoniadis Mansion and Antoniadis Gardens are open to the public and house the Alexandria Zoo.
Under Salvagos' presidency a huge, modern and well-equipped new hospital was built with the aid and support of the wealthy Kotsikas family.. EKA took charge of the running of the famous Kotsikeio Hospital which opened in 1938. It played a vital role during World War II when the Greek Army and Greek Government took refuge in Egypt due to the German occupation of Greece. The 250-bed hospital, served Greeks and Egyptians and the allied forces during the War. It was sold to Egypt by the Greek state in 1964.
During Mickes Salvagos' term, EKA reached the height of its glory, but after his death in 1948, it began to decline. The Hellenes of Alexandria began to leave for Greece and other countries because of unfavourable conditions in their host country - adverse laws relating to foreigners, the redistribution of agricultural land and later compulsory nationalisation of private companies.
1948-1954 After Salvagos' death, NIKOLAOS VATIMBELAS took over the presidency until industrialist, DIMITRIOS ZERBINIS from Lesvos, was elected President later that year. In 1949 the Community Vocational School was set up. Operating at first as a night-school and later as a day-school, it played a significant role in the community providing training for the young Greeks of the city.
1954-1973 When Zerbini left the Presidency in 1954, ANASTASIOS THEODORAKIS, son of a great Alexandrian family, was elected to the post. Under his presidency, EKA attempted to salvage as much as possible of past achievements. It was no longer a time of creation but of dissolution. By the end of Theodorakis' Presidency the Antoniadis Old People's Home had closed and removed to the Kaniskeris Orphanage building - the building which had once housed the young of a thriving community, now housed the elderly of a dwindling one. The Aristofronios School, which was established in 1895 next to the church of the Prophet Elias by the then Hellenic Community of Ramle in the neighbourhood of Giannakles also closed, as did the Sports ground of the church.
1973-1983The successful lawyer COSTAS SANDIS followed Theodorakis as President. He increased efforts to retrench, organise and ensure strategically the continuation of the Hellenic presence in Alexandria.
By 1978, when COSTAS RAPPAS took over from Sandis, EKA was restricted to the last Greek Quarter of Chatby where the Averof Junior and High Schools are still housed and to where, years previously, the Offices of EKA and both the Greek General Consulate and Cypriot Consulate had been moved.
It was commonly accepted that the countdown had begun for the Hellenic presence in Alexandria.
1984-1990 Rappas died in Athens in 1983. He was succeeded by Alexandrian businessman, PANAGIOTIS SOULOS During his term EKA succeeded in slowing down the rate of emigration, but the greatest achievement was, that even in these difficult times, the economic position of EKA was restored and the Community was once again financially independent.