Archaeological Sites and Monuments
- THE NAVAL MUSEUM OF THERA (SANTORINI).
In Oia, the picturesque traditional town on the north of Santorini, an old mansion has been restored and converted into a museum that houses the Maritime History of Thera.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM IN PHIRA
Right on the borders of the Catholic and the Orthodox quarters are housed finds representative of the island's long history. Vases and figurines of the Early Cycladic periods (2500-2000 BC) are found here.
An ancient Minoan city is located to the south of the present village of the same name. Excavations are still going on. Nevertheless you can walk in the streets of the ancient town. This site has been known since 1870 when two members of the French Archaeological School, Mamet and Gorceix, carried out the first excavations. In 1899, Robert Zahn carried out minor excavations at the site of Potamos. The present excavations were commenced in 1967 by Professor Marinatos who was killed in an accident in the area of the settlement in 1974. A large part of the city has been brought to light. Nevertheless it is estimated that excavations will continue for a further 100 years. There is also a castle in the village (goulas) which is now ruined. This castle withstood the Turkish invasions until 1617 when it
too passed under the Ottoman yoke.
AGHIOS NICHOLAOS MARMARITES
To the left of the road from Megalochori to Emboreion stands a rectangular temple. The monument dates from the 3rd century BC. Today it is used as a chapel consecrated to Saint Nicholas. (Saint Nicholas is the Saint who protects seamen)
Here you can find, in the south-east corner of the church courtyard, a large circular structure built of big marble blocks. It was a shrine or Heroon founded in the early years of the reign of Augustus (1st century AD).
MONASTERY OF PROPHETES ELIAS
Situated at the top of the sole mountain on the island, the monastery was founded at the beginning of the 18th century. A very nice place to visit and enjoy the panoramic view.
EPISKOPE AT GONIA
This is probably the only Byzantine monument preserved today on the island. It is located just south of Mesa Gonia and is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin which is celebrated every August 15th. The church of Panagia Episkopi was founded by the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I Comnenus and was perhaps originally the katholikon of a monastery. The wall paintings in the church date from circa 1100 AD. Built with several ancient architectural members, it was founded on the spot where an Early Christian basilica had existed. The Byzantine marble templon of the church is a rare example of marble - carving.