The Naval Gallery. There are portraits of naval personalities and the founders of the museum, and paintings that depict naval life. This room is also used for conferences, lectures, films, seminars and temporary exhibitions.
Contains exhibits dating from 8000 BC to Alexander the Great. These include scale models of a number of sailing vessels, including the trireme "Olympias" ( which was made in actual size by the Greek Navy) and the merchant ship " Olkas". Room B also contains maps representing the journeys of the first Greek explorers.
This room has original sections of the famous Wall of Themistocles, columns of a Neosoikoi, a 19th century lighthouse, as well as copy of the statue of Poseidon (or Zeus).
Contains exhibits of the Byzantine and post-Byzantine era until the end of the 18th century. Among the exhibits, the visitor has the opportunity to admire the Byzantine ship "Dromon" as well as other ships of that period. The room also houses models of ships that were made of bone by French prisoners in the Napoleonian wars, models from the fleet of a great shipowner, and oil paintings with themes such as whale hunting. In the same hall a new space has been created for the exhibits that come to the museum from "Argo", the former "Christina", which used to be Onasis' yacht.
One of the most glorious pages of the Greek Naval History, the War of Independence of 1821, is presented in this room. The visitor has the opportunity to see oil paintings inspired by the heroic battles of 1821, and personal belongings of the leaders of the revolution. In addition, there are models of ships, flags and weapons, the boat of the famous fighter Miaoulis, as well as the impressive oil painting by Volanakis depicting the burning of Turkish ship by Papanikolis at Eressos on the island of Lesvos.
Contains exhibits that are related to naval history and tradition from the establishment of the Greek state in 1830 until the Balkan Wars. Among them, there is the model of the ship "Enosis" that participated in the Revolution of Crete in 1866 - 1868, the armored ship "Psara" that participated in the war actions of 1912 - 1913, the first Greek submarine "Delfin", as well as the uniforms and personal belongings of admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis, leader of the fleet in the Balkan Wars.
This room is dedicated to World War II. Included in the exhibits, the visitor can find a piece of the Italian torpedo that hit the Greek ship "Elli", models of that period, as well as "Adrias", a ship that was successful in reaching the port of Alexandria in December of 1943 without a bow.
The last two rooms H and I are dedicated to the creation, history and evolution of the Merchant Navy. The Greek Merchant Fleet played an important role not only in the naval battles (from 1821 commercial ships were transformed into warships for the needs of the war), but also in the evolution of our national economy.
The Hellenic Maritime Museum
185 37 Piraeus