Recommendations for Economic Growth of Hellas
The following description of the project has been prepared by the coordinator, Dr. Ioannis Hatzopoulos.
The purpose of this project is to use the knowledge and experience of members of the HEC to produce documented views on how productivity of Hellas will increase, which will help her to overcome the current crisis and move to a path of lasting economic growth. Although the title emphasizes economic growth, the real problem of Hellasis a crisis of values which ignites a series of deteriorating factors resulting to the economic crisis.
Participation in the project is open to anyone who loves Hellenism and cares about Hellas. People from any field of expertise can participate and contribute to what is needed for Economic Growth of Hellas. We will try to formulate recommendations that promote what is common good, fair and will bring collective prosperity to all Hellenes. Individual contributions will be posted permanently on the HEC site:
for direct access of the HEC members with the option to make comments. Contributors are encouraged to provide documented diverse views on what must be done for Hellas, in a series of topics which are listed below, and with the option to introduce more topics if necessary, or suggest modifications to the already proposed topics.
The time limit for such contributions is up to November 15, 2011. After that, all documents will be considered by an editorial, non-partisan committee who will organize the material to a proceedings volume accompanied by a summary report on what is needed for Economic Growth of Hellas; this will be submitted to the Full Forum for consensus approval which must be ready by the end of the year. This proceedings volume and summary report will be officially presented to the Hellenic authorities in a conference by February 2012.
Notice: This project should have no partisan substance to comply with the HEC standards. It should remain in absolute consulting framework on economic growth.
The proposed topics are as follows:
A. Items related to crises of values
- Nation Vanishing issues and recommendations to reinstall (e.g. εθνομηδενισμός με αλλαγή ονόματος στα υπουργεία Παιδείας και Άμυνας)
- Language change (ancient Hellenic philosophers are misinterpreted by those scholars who do not understand the Hellenic language) resulting in problems related to economic growth.
- Change in tradition (filotimo, filoxenia, materialism, laikismos, leveling of all values), problems and recommendations
- Ethical items (corruption, bribing, rousfeti, vanity to get government posts), influence to economic growth, recommendations
- Philosophical themes, reunification of philosophy with sciences, scientific documentation of wrong and right, human error, virtue as a midway – variance) Recommendations on changes
- Education as to develop a healthy mind, a means to higher productivity innovations, training to develop skills, change bad habits, recommendations.
- Self and Society: Wisdom of the Ages; Greediness, Nihilism
B. Topics directly related to the economy
B.1 Short term and long term Economic policies which help to increase public revenues increase economic growth decrease unemployment and approach the existing national and international duties in a responsible way
- Advantages and disadvantages of the drachma versus the euro, would a return to the drachma still make sense?
- Government, welfare and unemployment (GWU)
- Government regulations on the banks
- Mechanisms for product promotion (Products Marketing)
- Economic growth based on the commercial shipping
B.2 Identification and better management of resources
- Sustainable Agriculture: development of high quality products, precision agriculture on terraces, marketing of quality products: Wines, Beers Olives and Olive Oil, Cheeses, Processed fruits (e.g. Figs, Apricots Preserves , Juices) and Vegetables( e.g., Dolmades, beans, …)
- Educational Services
- Forestry (develop a sustainable management scheme so that forest resources support families which maintain and protect the forest)
- Tourism (tourism and agriculture, culture and tradition, monuments)
- Tourism Vacationing, Summer Camps, Cultural and Educational teach-ins, transports, cruises festivals, religious tourism
- Renewable energy resources (sun, wind, geothermal energy, small dams, sea waves, biomass) – contribution to economic growth.
- Oil, gas and minerals, contribution to economic growth
- Intellectual resources, (Promotion of University and other research products and patterns, software)
- National Control of existing and evolving esources,
B.3 Changes in legislation to maintain checks and balances at all government levels within the state system and attract investors
- Constitutional changes (check and balances in the government structure, encourage private investments, promote excellence in education – asylon, private universities, conditional free of charge public education)
B.4 Create infrastructures
- Infrastructures and Environment Protection
- Regional and local planning and urban planning (zoning system) recommendations to accelerate existing processes
- Cadastre, recommendations to accelerate existing processes
- Coastal zone management
- Technical works (roads, ports/marines, Functional and Aesthetic Architecture of schools and Government buildings)
- Management systems of national heritage (electronic recording of archaeological findings and monuments, virtual museums)
- Government Promotion of productivity enhancing innovations
B.5 Strengthen relationships with people of similar culture
- Orthodox Christians around the Globe (to counterbalance Davoutoglou’s Islamic plans) recommendations on geostrategies.
- Hellenistic Global Networking for Social, Cultural and Commercial promotions
- Erosion of Cultural values
- Diffusion of Cultures;
- Immigration and Emigration,
- Marriages and citizenship
B.7 National defense
- Internal and external enemies
- Assessing correctly the tremendous destructive power of human mind of small groups, suggestions
- Design of a Switzerland– like public defense system
- Support research to promote high technology to the defense system
- Defense against biases of history
- Commercial and Defensive Alliances ( Not Traditional and new allies)
- Mechanisms to support Research and development through the exploitation of defense expenses.
B.8 Foreign policy
- Traditional and new allies,
- Promote Hellenism influence on global education and global civilization culture
- Foreign trade with new markets
B.9 Education and training
- Reconstruction of the Educational System so that it is supported
basic and continuing Professional Education.
- Structure of all levels of education to maintain excellence
- Promote talented people
- Promote Special Education
- Help individuals to be trained on subjects they like and at the same time there is demand for jobs
- Teach at basic school levels Hellenic culture, ancient Greek language, agriculture, geometry, philosophy, economy, ability to develop software, aesthetics, sports and music
- Use the many highly academic Greeks to educate/ train many Greeks that currently migrate toUSA,Germany,France,Italyand UK etc., as well as educating natives of other countries as it is done by European and USA universities and Technical schools. Education can boost the Greek Economy tremendously.
- Education can be used to improve the productivity of the Greek work force, as well as broaden the minds of its citizenry.
In each of the above fields there is a diversity of themes to be raised and discussed.
These are draft ideas; therefore, more ideas and better approaches are welcome.